Things I Learnt About Weight Loss from Running a Business



Running a business and weight loss have some similarities.

If you’d have said that to me a few years ago, I’d have laughed at you. It’s only been since trying to do both that I’ve found a relationship between them.

Don’t believe me? Well here are some of the things I’ve learnt about weight loss from running a business.

It’s All About Perseverance

Nothing happens overnight. Those “overnight successes” that you hear about on the news, haven’t been quick ones at all. It has taken those behind the business months, if not years, to get everything in place to suddenly become the most talked about company.

Perseverance is key to running a business, especially a successful one, just like it is key to weight loss. If you’re not willing to put the effort in, you’re not going to get very far. Those quick fix diets just don’t work—at least not in the long term.

You Need to Set Goals

When I first started a business, my goal was to earn more than I would in a full time job, without having to do as much. I’m a long way away from that at the moment, but I don’t mind admitting that.

Along the way, I’ve set mini goals and targets. Sometimes I’ve met them and sometimes I haven’t. The goals I set at the start of the year were a great way to boost my motivation after coming off maternity leave, but I haven’t met them all and I’m not going to. But I’m on the right track and there is no going back.

It’s the same with weight loss. Goal setting is essential. That end result just seems so far away, it’s really easy to get disheartened. By setting mini goals, you drop the pounds slowly, you see that it is working and before you know it, you’re closer to succeeding than you are to failing.

Don’t Let One Bad Day Ruin It All

One bad day in the office isn’t the end of the business. I’ve had days where clients have turned down my quote and gone elsewhere. I’ve had days where editors have asked for revision after revision because they just don’t like the style; not that the information was wrong. It happens and you just have to get on with it.

When it comes to weight loss, there are bad days. There have been weeks that I’ve gained weight and weeks where there was no move. Instead of focusing on this, running a business taught me to look at the bigger picture.

When a client turns an offer down, I remember the clients who have said yes and those who offer more than I would usually quote. When I gain weight one week, I look back at the weight that I have lost and the journey that I’ve already made.

So, it turns out that running a business and losing weight aren’t that much different. While the end results may be different, the practice and tips are relatively alike.

Do you find weight loss has a connection to something in your life? It could be your job, a sport you play or something entirely different. Feel free to share in the comments below.

Image credit: UrbaneWomenMag

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problems with Crash Diets

100 Day Challenge Day 28: Staying In Control on a Busy Day

Halloween Party Ideas to Lose Weight