When Is the Best Time to Stop Losing Weight?


Is it about time you stopped losing weight?

I’m never going to get to my ideal weight. In fact, the number that I think is ideal isn’t really that ideal.

I would love to see the numbers 9st 7lb on the scales. For some reason, that has always stuck out at me as being my ideal weight. But it’s not and I’m never going to get there. I’ve made the decision to stop losing weight once I get to just under a stone heavier than that. I’m stopping once I get to 10st 6lbs.

Why? Because it’s the best time for me to stop losing weight.

Here are a few ways I came to this decision.

Look Back at Old Photos and Be Honest

I took a trip down memory lane. I looked back at photos when I was at around the 10st mark. Sure, my body has changed a bit over the last few years with having a baby but I came to the decision that 10st and anything under that made me look too thin.

Yes you can look too thin! And just because your BMI tells you that you can go to a certain weight doesn’t mean that it will look healthy.

Please be honest with yourself and stop losing weight if you get to the point where you’re starting to look skinny and unhealthy.

Focus on Living a Healthy Lifestyle

Your BMI isn’t everything. It may say that a healthy weight is 10st for your height but that doesn’t mean you’re going to get there or that you need to get there. 10st 7lb may be perfect for you.

You need to factor in the amount of exercise that you do. Muscle does weight more than fat—a pound of muscle is smaller in size that a pound of fat. If you exercise a lot and have built up a lot of exercise, your BMI is going to be high.

Focus on that healthy lifestyle and not just what the figures on the scales say. You could try for months to get to a “healthy” weight and it can cause stress and worry that you’re not getting there. If you’re worried, talk to your doctor.

Be Happy with Yourself

You need to be happy with yourself—the way you feel and the way you look. You may think that your ideal weight is 9st but find that 10st is the figure that you have always dreamed of. It’s time to stop losing weight!

You don’t know how your body will look when you lose weight. There are a number of factors that affect that, including any excess skin you have, the amount of exercise you do and generally where your body gains more fat (your body shape). Think about them as you are losing weight and be honest with yourself.

If you’re happy before the figure on the scales say you should be, stop losing weight!

Be honest with yourself all the time. Look back at photos and judge whether you look too skinny or just right. Remember your exercise and think along the way. Do you really need to lose more weight? Chances are you’re not going to get to that ideal weight you thought you needed to reach at first. It may be time to stop losing weight and start working on keeping it off.

Is it time you stopped losing weight? Do you think there is a right time to stop losing weight?

Image credit: Stuart Miles/Freedigitalphotos.net

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I think I need to exercise more regularly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I love exercise (but I'm slightly crazy ;) )

      Delete
  2. Well, yes I DO need to lose weight. But, I can relate your thoughts about the "ideal weight" being too little for some folks. When I lost all my weight the first time and still had 10 more pounds to go I remember folks asking me constantly if I was sick or did I feel bad. Even my husband was concerned as he thought I looked "too skinny". Truthfully, I did. My face was sunken and my ideal weight according to medical charts just didn't look healthy for me. Love your truthfulness and honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people get hung up on the numbers they see and forget about how they look. Or maybe it's that we don't notice the way we look until someone actually says something to us. Good luck and be honest with yourself :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Problems with Crash Diets

Halloween Party Ideas to Lose Weight

100 Day Challenge Day 28: Staying In Control on a Busy Day